Past the meditating seat #3 to Venice

We take a break from our local toilets and gondola our way to Venice, where I have just visited François Pinault's new-ish museum Punta Della Dogana to see his latest exhibition 'In Praise of Doubt'.

At times more impressive than the art itself, the Punta Dogana used to be a customs house in the 17th century so vast and overpowering I sometimes forgot I was supposed to be thinking about what a beach table ensemble with a laid out jigsaw set was meant to mean. Unfortunately I also have little empathy for postmodern art. So doubtful I was indeed.

There was a lot of intellectual melancholia and some curious things, but those that were particularly compelling was sad to say, not Jeff Koon's inflatable toy floats (the only name who was familiar to me observed that 'apart from being play things, these things also save lives' - cute, but still doubtful). Instead, Julie Mehretu's use of traditional media to represent the globalised vortex we live in and Roni Horn's brilliant manipulation of glass in 'Well and truly' made it well worth my visit.

Anyway the point is that art is long and life is short. Since the businessman and the starving artist serve each other's purpose (one wants transcendence, the other wants to make play things) then what else can I say except Mr. Pinault, will you consider giving this poor soul a chance?


Sue-Wen

No comments:

Post a Comment

SOMETHING TO DECLARE ?